May 27, 2015

BulletPoints - Game Ideas #001 - Last Seconds

Welcome back to Bullet Points, a series that covers topics of large variety in games, movies, comics, and really anything that spells out “nerd.” It’s just a few weeks before the big E3 announcement jamboree, meaning gaming news slows to a crawl. I could talk about the big “Kickstarter Boom” going on with games like Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained showing companies like Microsoft and Konami how horrible they’re failing, but I won’t. Folks like Jim Sterling have already covered that.


Today, I still want to talk about games, but I think I’ll do something more unique and tell you a game idea I have recently thrown together. If I were a capable game programmer / designer, I’d make it myself. But since I’m not and probably won’t be for some time, I’ll put this idea to the ether and see if anyone will pick it up and run with it. Maybe it’ll get made then and I can enjoy my genius idea after a master craftsman of gaming puts it together instead of vomiting up some code on my keyboard and calling it a playable work of art.

The idea came to me when I joking made a complaint about how a less than stellar job I had was stealing my time when I could have been more productive. The phrase “stealing time” stuck with me. Then I kept messing around with the idea, creating something like a Time-Vampire, which I know has been done in films like that somewhat recent one with Justin Timberlake proving to the world he is a capable actor. So the main crux of the game is you steal time from enemies in the game. Why? Because you have a limited lifespan which acts as the variable determining whether you can continue or you get a game over.

In the beginning, you meet “Father Time” or whoever the time-based villain will be. He places a curse on your protagonist for doing something stupid, which gives you only 99 seconds to live. In that short span of 99 seconds, you must decide what you’re going to do and how you intend to do it. You can choose to do nothing and accept fate. You can choose to stay in your home and do what little things you can to feel normal for the remainder of your life. Or you can take action and try to find ways to extend your time just long enough to get your life back.

When the timer reaches zero, the game ends and you must start over from the beginning. Time can be extended by stealing time from others and killing them. But if you want to be a pacifist, you can find relics to slow the passage of time, speed up time, extend your time, or find pockets of space in the world where time stands still, allowing you to get more time than expected. There would also be secret paths and puzzles, that allow you to get through areas faster to meet Father Time before the lifespan expires.


I came up with the alternate paths idea, trying to think of ways to make the time-gimmick feel more fluid and varied. The first way was thinking about what things you could do at the very start of the game to explore the mechanic, of if you even wanted to. The idea isn’t to give the game multiple endings based on your actions, but just different ways to complete the game as you see fit. I hate games that don’t let me pass by enemies without killing them because sometimes I just want to play pacifist and get to the objective with nothing else in mind. Consider it the rebel side of me to not want to kill in a game where you’re given a shit ton of guns.

I also thought the idea of having “Warp-Pipe” like areas where you can skip entire segments of the game would be needed to progress for the pacifist run would be necessary in order to reach the end within the allotted time. And, again, certain items or power-ups would benefit the player as well to extend whatever little time they had remaining. With any luck and the right set of skills, this could be done, but otherwise they might have to resort to hurting others.


And in hurting others, I think the AI of NPCs would have to change as you progress. The more you kill in order to survive, the more aggressive they act towards you. By the end of the game, you could have made yourself a wanted criminal for the mass murder of countless hundreds of people or you could simply pass by to Father Time’s chambers completely unnoticed because you’ve not hurt anyone. Perhaps have it where the first three kills only alert those nearest to the player. Then the next three kills alert enemies just outside your field of view. The next three alert the entire level. Then the next three make all NPCs aggressive or hostile (save for the small few who might be needed for progression).

The main point of the game, or the “message” behind it. Would be that time is what you make of it and by giving players so little time, it gives them a moment to decide how they want to spend their final moments. Do they spend it in a panic? Do they spend it reflecting on their life (however short it was)? Do they simply contemplate life? Do they take action? Do they hurt others to ensure their own survival? Do they trust anyone or anything else to be able to help them and not waste their time? These are all questions I want players to ask in this hypothetical game idea as they play the game.


So if you had a limited amount of time left and knew how long it was, what would you do with it? Leave a comment below or maybe discuss your own suggestions for how to improve this game idea. If you enjoyed the read, leave a comment, like, share, or subscribe to the blog or YouTube Channel. We’ll be back with more BulletPoints very soon and we hope to see you there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment