Dec 11, 2014

Majestic Twelve - PS4 Games... Possibly?

I recently did a top twelve game recommendation for the Wii U. And while I made the recommendations without getting paid by anyone and did so because I think it’s a fine console people should try, I’m fully expecting some kind of reflexive response from people sooner or later about how I didn’t do a list for the PS4 or the Xbone (I refuse to call it anything else). There’s a few problems with that… 

I don’t own a PS4 or Xbone. As you may not have remembered, I don’t have extra cash on hand and I don’t yet get paid for doing this blog (damn you, Google AdSense for not working right). So I can’t do a list of game recommendations based on personal experience. Likewise, I’m the only one running the blog, so I can’t just have someone else write it and hope that solves the problem. So instead of doing a game recommendations list for either Xbone or PS4, I’ve decided to do a list of “Games I’m most Interested In” list for the respective consoles. Last time we tackled the Xbone, so I figure we’ll tackle Sony and the PS4 (Vita too if I find anything of note).

Again, much like last time, we’re only accepting exclusives for this list if possible. So not multiplatform releases unless we come up short. In which case, it only counts of the other platform is either Vita or PC. Also the problem of not having games I’m interested in already out was more of an issue here than it was on the Xbone. As such, almost the entire list is made of up games that have not come out and some don’t have a release date. It’s a shame there isn’t backwards compatibility to let me pad the list out a bit more with some great PS3, PS2, or PS1 titles. Oh well…

#12 – Firmware - The most popular game on the PS3 because everyone had to play it with every game they got was an instant best seller because of that very reason. It only makes sense that Sony would have more Firmware ready to go with the new generation of consoles and it'd be a damn shame if we didn't get more of that going this generation as well. I still think the best parts of Firmware involve the long hours of waiting for a game to be installed before I can play it so I can rethink all the life decisions I've made. Sadly, it's unclear if we'll get Firmware for PS4 with the improved downloading system and update system. But I'll keep my fingers crossed. 


#11 – Unkarted: Drake-Neck Speed – I love kart racers and Mario is dominating this market because the only other people to try and compete in recent memory would be the LittleBigPlanet guys. Now, I didn’t quite care for LBP all that much, I thought it was okay, but wasn’t a great platformer. But an Uncharted racing game is needed to keep up with Naughty Dog tradition. Clearly it’s in the works because look who we’re talking about here. Not to mention Sony doesn’t ever seem to come up with its own ideas and generally likes taking them from others (see motion controls). So why not attempt to compete with Mario again in the Kart-Racing Scene? We're all obviously clamoring for this to happen! Speaking of which…

#10 – Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2: Electric Boogaloo – It’s safe to say that PS-All-Stars was not a great game, but certainly not a bad game. It had many flaws that showcased just how much lesser of a Smash-Bros-Style fighter it was in comparison to the original Smash Bros. But it was a valiant attempt I would love to see Sony try and cobble together again. Maybe don’t require using easily-predictable super moves to lose a life or score a point so the games don’t end up lasting fifteen fucking minutes after everyone in a group of four is dead and we’ve brought it down to the final two. Also, balance it out so that Kratos isn’t as big a killing machine as he is in his actual games or no one will want to play.

#09 - Yakuza 5 (Western Release) - While Sony doesn't have any control over the Yakuza franchise, it being a SEGA property, I remain on the side of right when I say this game and others like it demand a localized release. Nintendo pulls this shit with games like Captain Rainbow and formerly Fire Emblem. And we'll never see Mother 3 on our shores ever because Westerners don't appreciate how good Earthbound was. Fans appreciated Yakuza and demand more. SEGA is just lazy and won't localize it. But the game we need... not just the one we deserve. Wait... oh. They announced it was getting localized? I guess this isn't a joke-entry anymore now is it?

#08 – Bayonetta 2 – Clearly Bayonetta is one of the best games ever and Platinum, in their infinite wisdom, will release the game on other consoles at some point. If they didn’t that would be insane. How do they expect it to sell as a Wii U exclusive? Give it a year and I’m sure they’ll convince Nintendo to let it happen. After which, we’ll probably see Link and Mario do iPhone games and I’m sure Smash Bros will go multi-platform to include characters like the Master Chef from Helo and Kratos from God of Whore. Just wait and see you guys.





#07 – Rime – Okay, actual serious entries now. I apologize for all that but I could only find seven fucking games in all of Sony’s upcoming library (or even existing library) of PS4 games that I have any interest in (passing or otherwise). Even that Order 1886 game looks kind of “meh” at best. That said, Rime. I know almost nothing about it other than the guys who made Deadlight made it and that was a good game. Also it looks colorful, well-designed, and prominently features a single young man doing things like Link from Zelda. So there’s that.

#06 – Until Dawn – A game that’s exclusively just shown in pre-rendered trailers at the moment, Until Dawn is a survival-horror game in which eight friends (which you get to play as all of them) decide to do a stupid horror-movie trope and gather at a cabin to honor the death of a fallen friend. Little do any suspect that a deranged killer is nearby and planning to off them all because reasons. It looks interesting and I’m not opposed to more horror sometime down the pipeline.

#05 – Disgaea 5 – I thought Disgaea 2 was quite fun and I tried a little of Disgaea 4 and thought it was poorly voice-acted to a point where I had to stop playing. But I’m open to Disgaea 5 being just okay and maybe enjoying more turn-based strategy fun. But if it fumbles, I’ll just break down and by XCOM Enemy Within on PC and leave it at that.

#04 – Silent Hills – Or possibly Silent Hill5. Hideo Kojima’s been unclear as to what Silent Hills is or what we can expect from it. All we know is that it’ll have Daryl from Walking Dead and be scary as shit if PT is anything to go by. We also don’t know if this actually is a Playstation exclusive or not because that hasn’t been announced. But since older Silent Hill games were and because I needed to put more games on the list, we’re just going to assume it is.

#03 – Persona 5 – Technically not a PS4 exclusive either, as it is coming to the PS3. This is a game I actually do intend to get because I’ve liked what I’ve played of Persona 4 so far (been distracted with other games at the moment). But it’s still something I’m interested in and will finally get more use out of my PS3. So there ya go.

#02 – No Man’s Sky – Another game that actually isn’t a PS4 exclusive (technically). It’s a timed exclusive for the PS4 with a PC release shortly thereafter. I am obviously getting the PC release should all things go well on the PS4 version. Everything about it looks good so far and I know most of us are hoping this is as good as it looks because it’s not like we’re getting another space-flight game anytime in the foreseeable future… right Miyamoto-san?

 #01 – Bloodborne – From the people that brought you Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls comes Bloodborne which will have the same high-difficulty gameplay you’ve all come to know and love. The difference here is the gameplay seems to have been tweaked to further favor close-up combat while also adding high-speed moves, dodges, and other things to really get me more interested in this than I would have expected. Also, there are werewolves because why not?


#0 - Suikoden 2 - For those not sure, this was written AFTER the PS-Experience Weekend (this part here) but the rest of it was just DAYS before it kicked off. I didn't realize an event was happening. And further didn't realize they'd announce... two more things of interest. The first of which was Yakuza, the second of which was Suikoden. That said, this is unranked technically because not only is this not a PS4 exclusive (coming to PS3 actually) but it's a re-release of an old game that you can still technically find (though not cheap). So I guess this is like Earthbound, but not as rare and not exclusively available to the current generation of consoles. 

But I guess that ruins my main point/joke. As much as I want the PS4 to be a console I'd like to buy, there really isn't anything worthwhile on it for me. I can say the same about the Xbone, but I actually managed to fill a whole list with games I could conceivably see my self playing at some point or another that are EXCLUSIVELY for that console (mostly). Here, I had to pad out the list with PS3 games and games that don't exist (for Sony consoles anyway). That's the point I'm trying to make is that we're a year into the console generation and, much like the WiiU at this point in its life, the PS4 and Xbone don't have much in the ways of game diversity either. While they're selling more, I question why when there's nothing of interest to offer. Then again, they're getting the multiplatform games while the WiiU is getting scraps. Luckily for me, the stuff I'm more interested in is available on PS3 (save for Bloodborne and I'll figure out something for that... eventually). 

If you liked this and want to see more content like it (ideally with more existing games) then please be sure to like, share, and subscribe. Hope you enjoyed our romp on other consoles for a bit. Tune in next week for something hopefully a bit more concrete. Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment